Did you know that your dentist can help alleviate headaches and jaw pain?
Do you suffer from chronic headaches or chronic neck or jaw pain? They may be caused by a temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ), or neuromuscular disorder. The TMJ is connected to a network of muscles. Problems in this joint can sometimes lead to pain, discomfort or various physiological symptoms.
These symptoms include:
- Face pain (temporal muscles, base of the jaw)
- Cracking of joint (especially when opening your mouth wide)
- Limited ability to open or move your jaw
- Blocked ears or tinnitus
- Frequent teeth grinding (bruxism)
- Sensitive teeth
- Posture problems (shoulders, neck, etc.)
- Insomnia, sleep apnea
- And more
In addition to misaligned teeth, missing teeth or occlusion problems, several external factors also contribute to the development of TMJ disorders.
External factors include:
- Anxiety (repetitive jaw contractions)
- Emotional shock
- Habits (chewing gum, nail biting, playing a musical instrument, etc.)
TMJ disorders can be difficult to correct. You should talk to an expert to identify and treat the problem. There are several treatments possible, including a biteplate (occlusal splint, also named orthotic), an orthodontic treatment or complete rehabilitation using crowns.
Centre Dentaire Delongchamp will perform a complete check-up to assess the nature of your pain and discomfort. Once we have a diagnosis, we’ll explain the various treatment options available to you, taking into account your needs and budget. Call us at 450-562-0266. We look forward to meeting you!